Friday 23 August 2013

Adventures in Macro Photography

I love macro photography, but it's always been a kind of admiration from afar, a bit like unrequited love if you like. I'd browse through beautiful macro shots online and marvel at the stunning detail they captured. I even used macro photos for a project during one of my teaching practice placements... One of those 'guess what this is' kind of games! But I knew the chances of me ever shooting macro photos was slim. For one thing, the lenses cost an absolute fortune, and I really wouldn't get enough use out of it to justify the price tag even if I could afford it.
Then this summer, I unexpectedly got my first taste of macro. After coming back from my cousin's wedding in June, I noticed these weird blue lines across the middle of the photos. The sensor was damaged (if I ever find out who dropped my camera, there'll be trouble!) and I was told it was going to take a few weeks to fix it. Sad times! I was so disappointed, but my uncle, a MAJOR photography enthusiast, came to the rescue. He loaned me his fancy Canon 600D, which is his backup camera (!), along with a macro lens for me to experiment with. I was so excited!
It was a huge learning curve... In the space of a few days, I had learned to use a new camera, I had messed around with a tripod, I had used manual focus for the first time and I had produced my first (very basic!) macro shots. It's a totally different type of photography than what I'm used to. It's slow and precise, and it takes a long time to set up a shot and get it perfect. The slightest shudder of movement and the picture is ruined. And I have to admit that, on my uncle's advice, I spent more than a few evenings chasing flies around, wielding a can of fly spray, trying to kill one for a photo! Yes, really! I got more up close and personal with things like wriggly caterpillars and slimy snails than I ever would have anticipated. And though my sister wasn't very impressed with how disgusting these creatures are when massively magnified, it was worth it for the pictures!
Sadly, the time has come to return the camera and lens, now that my own beloved model has returned in full working order. However, I have to say that I really enjoyed my flirtation with macro photography. Have you ever tried macro?

6 comments:

  1. I love macro photography too. My camera is a bridge camera. It has one extra lens available and thats a macro one which I use for closeups of my layouts. Your pictures make me want to start chasing flies around too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sinead! These are just fantastic although I might be with your sister on the flies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are fantastic, what an eye. I have a lens (Pentax) that will do marco although I do not use too often. You have inspired me to give it a go out in the garden this afternoon, there are some sunflowers blooming & I really want to capture that centre pattern. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to do close-up photography - the results are stunning and I love the snail's shell in particular. Hoping a macro lens makes its way to you very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are stunning! I've never tried macro with a proper lens and would love to have a go *green eyed monster* Realy beautiful post :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - these photos are fantastic! I live near a camera shot that rents cameras and lens, and I have been thinking about trying a new lens or two. Maybe macro is in my future...

    ReplyDelete