Sunday 7 April 2013

Storytelling Sunday

I'm so glad to be joining in with Sian's Storytelling Sunday - I've been reading all the wonderful tales told by fabulous ladies all over blogland for a while, and I've finally plucked up the courage and put aside the time to have a go and take part myself! Sian's theme this year is 'Pick Your Precious', and she's encouraging everyone to tell the stories behind the little things that they love, the important bits and pieces that are special to us.


This is the story of a forgotten pastime, lots of bright colours, an antidote to stress and a precious blanket.

When I was in primary school, we were lucky enough to have two lovely local ladies visit once a week to teach crafts for an hour after school on a Wednesday. We'd gather in a classroom, and with wool and knitting needles and crochet hooks, we learned to create headbands and quilts for our dolls and of course, the essential scarf. First, we learned to knit with 4mm needles and scratchy wool, and bumbled our way through dropped stitches and dodgy tension. Later, the 'experienced' crafters were allowed to experiment with crochet, which seemed so much more glamorous and exciting! I remember learning how to make the famous granny square, and crocheting a doll with curly arms and legs. But then secondary school came along, and suddenly crochet didn't seem so cool anymore. The hooks and the wool were abandoned to the top of my wardrobe, forgotten.

Last year, in the midst of studying for exams and preparing for teaching practice in uni, I rediscovered crochet. I'm not quite sure how or why, perhaps it had something to do with the advent of Pinterest and my discovery of lots of lovely crafty blogs, including crochet blogs. So I reverted to what I knew and loved...a 4mm crochet hook, cheap and cheerful wool and the reliable granny square. Without knowing what I was doing, I soon found myself making several granny squares, all the same size. A trip to the local wool shop later, armed with a rainbow of colours, I realised what I was doing. Somehow, I had started making a blanket!


In between studying and lesson planning, the stack of little squares grew. I loved the methodical simplicity of twirling the hook in and out of the wool, it was a complete departure from the stress and panic that accompanied summer exams and teaching practice. I loved seeing the progress and the blend of colours together. I loved lining out the squares and seeing how my blanket might look in the end.


As spring rolled into summer, and holidays arrived, the balls of wool had dwindled to scraggly ends. It was time to join the squares! And then after adding an edging, and not forgetting the tedious job of darning in the ends, it was finished! My first crochet blanket. And since then, it has taken up permanent residence on the end of my bed, though it has been known to mysteriously appear on the living room couch, particularly if someone is feeling poorly or needs a little blankety TLC. It was only when my aunt suggested I could sell it that I realised just how precious it was...I think you can guess my answer!

Sinéad
xxx


13 comments:

  1. Love your story Sinead and love more that you can crochet! Please teach me! I can only knit. The homemade things are always the most precious aren't they. I think that is why homemade items can never get the money they deserve- the amount of time and love in them is so much more! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfectly precious story this is. Your photos are beautiful..so light and lovely and full of woolly bright good cheer! I can remember a needlework group at school like the one you describe - I would love today's youngsters to have the same opportunity we did to grow a love of making things. Bring back needlework I say!

    Thank you for joining in today - it's a pleasure to have you with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your story! Having been taught myself by elderly aunts, who knew every needlecraft imaginable, I can appreciate your love of crocheting. While I prefer to knit (socks mostly) I do pick up a crochet hook every now and then to make a baby blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewok has a similar blanket made by a friend's Mum - definitely a precious and something to keep. How lovely that your school were able to bring in such a useful skill to ensure it was handed on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great story. I am fairly new to crochet myself and self taught but I am making a blanket for my son to take to Uni later this year. I agree it is a great stress buster and you can take it anywhere. I hope you carry on and make some more .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blanket is gorgeous! So bright and cheerful. My grandmother taught me how to crochet but I could never master it as she had. You have inspired me to look for something....thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bright and happy blanket! I never learned to crochet, and think it's a pity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely story and a great blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My granny taught me and I have just begun to teach my youngest granddaughter. I love to crochet because you can only drop one stitch if you drop the hook. I very often sit and watch TV and make a hat in an evening. Well done you for persevering for a whole blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely! My Mom used to crochet all the time - she could do it without looking, while watching television, or even riding in a car! I still have the lap afghan she made me when I was a teenager. I took it to college and everywhere since but once the stitches started coming loose I put it in a bag and consigned it to the linen closet. It is one of the few things I have left of her. I also have the afghans she crocheted for each of my daughters when they were born (they are now young adults). I guess some things never go out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a thing of beauty, wow :) I can only manage to crochet a chain, I have no idea how to turn corners and start a new row.... But I can make a very long chain!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its really bright and vibrant. I can understand why you didn't want to sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how your story is woven through each step of your blanket. It looks wonderful. So bright and cheery. The edging really finishes it off. Crochet is very therapeutic. I did loads when I was young. Somewhere, I have some brown/cream granny squares circa 1970's. You have spurred me on to dig them out!

    ReplyDelete